Learning Sheets Functions for Oral Assessment Grades (or, why my PLN rocks!)

Learning Sheets Functions for Oral Assessment Grades (or, why my PLN rocks!)

I recently put a plea out to my PLN to help me figure out how to collect grades from a form for oral assessment.

Click here for the original form. Click here for the study sheet for my students.

My idea is, from the 27 questions, I will randomly ask 10 questions to one student at a time. I will check off my assessment of their success on each answer (on my iPad).

Thanks to Kim Pollishuke, Pascal Morissette, Scott Monahan, Diana Mancuso and Jenny Gray for helping me find a solution.

Here are the steps:

  1. I used a grid question with questions in the row and to numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 in the columns. I then inserted as an image (just above) Faible, Acceptable, Bien, Excellent.


Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 10.18.23 PM.png

2. I went to the live form and filled it out once as a test student.  

3. In the associated sheet I added two columns: Average and Grade (insert, column right).

4. In the Average column, I clicked on the first cell (Row 2), then clicked on the functions button, then clicked on “Average”:
Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 10.24.35 PM.png
5. I highlighted all the cells to the l of this column, stopping at the cell after the student’s name then clicked “Enter”. This gave me an average out of 4.
Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 10.27.26 PM.png

6. I then copied this “If” function formula that the brilliant Diana Mancuso made for me:

=IF(C6<1.5,"D",IF(C6<1.7,"D+",IF(C6<2,"C-",IF(C6<2.4,"C",IF(C6<2.8,"C+",IF(C6<3,"B-",IF(C6<3.1,"B",IF(C6<3.2,"B+",IF(C6<3.35,"A-",IF(C6<3.7,"A",IF(C6<4.1,"A+")))))))))))

(Based on the following grades out of 4):
A+ = 3.8 - 4
A   = 3.4 - 3.7
A-  = 3.2 - 3.3
B+ = 3.1
B  = 3
B- = 2.8 - 2.9
C+ = 2.5 - 2.7
C  = 2 - 2.4
C- = 1.8 - 1.9
D+ = 1.5 - 1.7

D  = 1 - 1.4


and pasted it in the first cell under the “Grades” column. Just click out of the cell after. This gave me a letter grade for the first student.

(NOTE: The “AD” in the formula refers to the letters of the “Average” column that I added. You will need to change this to the letter of the column that your average column falls under.)

7. For subsequent students, it’s just a matter of dragging down the little blue square in the bottom right hand corner to cover the new cells (in “Average” and then “Grades” columns) and you will see the magic happen.


Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 10.36.51 PM.png
THIS, MY FRIENDS, IS WHY MY PLN ROCKS!!!!
Syl

PS. In grade 5, students have to ask the question as well as answer it. Click here for the study sheet, click here for the form. When assessing, I will simply give them the Key Word (Mot Clé) and they will have to give me the question and the answer.



9 comments:

  1. Rock on, my friend! This is such a great idea and I can't wait to adapt it in my own teaching practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't have done it without you, thanks so much, my geeky friend!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Latest Govt Bank Jobs Recruitment Notification 2016


    Awesome share.Thanks to author for useful post, keep it up....................

    ReplyDelete
  4. So there are more of the benefits put thrown by this learning sheets and towards understanding of such facts will make our work more easy and evident.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great article I have found finally, dear author, thank you very much for it! And I would like to add that not so long ago I was looking for some professional budget rewriting, but unfortunately I have not found it in the internet at all. And that is why I am really very happy that now I have seen your very helpful and well structured article. And please do not stop to write them, because I am completely sure that they can help to many of other people who are looking for some help as well as me!

    ReplyDelete

  6. الرائد تقدم خدمات تطهير و تعقيم خزانات المياه فى جدة و مكة لاننا :
    افضل شركة غسيل خزانات بجدة
    و افضل شركة غسيل خزانات بمكة
    للمزيد قم بزيارة
    افضل شركة تنظيف منازل

    ReplyDelete